Life Simply Sweet Home Howdy Lily N Wren Contact

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Best Mom...


When Chris and I were sitting around on Sunday he said
"you are the best Mom thank you".
Ever since he said that I have been thinking about
what makes a BEST Mom...

I do not think there is such thing 
you just have to do the BEST you know how
and lead by example.

So then I thought what kind of Mother do I strive to be?
What will Lillian remember about me and her childhood?
What will she share with her family?
What will she say about me?

Will she remember the trips we take
 the crafts we make
 the dances we dance
 the laughter we share
 the sweets we make
 the tears we cry
 the flowers we plant
the holidays we celebrate
I think some of those things will stand out
but that is not what I want her to take from me.

When she thinks of home and family I want her to think of the words: 
comfort, laughter, love, happiness
As much as I want to make my family happy and safe 
I know that it is not my job to MAKE her these things 
it is my job to show her
and to teach her what these words look like 
in hopes that she can create
 comfort, love, happiness, and laughter
in her life.

I can show her how to be happy.
How to be safe.
And patient.
And courageous.
And positive.
And kind.

And to never give up.
And to believe in yourself.

I can show her how to be healthy
by eating well and exercising. 

I can show her confidence.
And empathy.
To always be respectful and polite 
but stand up for yourself.
That the smallest things mean the most.

I can show her how to LOVE.
by how I love her
and her father
her family
animals, friends, strangers, nature, music, and the arts
I can show her how to love herself by loving myself.

I can show her that sometimes even though we have the best intentions
we slip and fail to show our best self
but when we do we
learn, grow and change 
and never expect more than the best for and from ourself.

I can show her that sometimes
you win
and sometimes
you lose
but you are always a good sport.

The day I became a mother
I felt overwhelmed with emotion.
I have to be the example of the person I want my daughter to be.


I can show her how to be happy
by being happy.

Lillian changed my life.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this...I was having a the house is a mess, we have no groceries, I haven't shaved my legs in a week kind of day...it was nice to read a dose of what is really important in this crazy life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete